Featured post

The Non-Negotiable Gospel - Book Review

 Dave Hunt, 1999, 45 pages Publisher: The Berean Call; Second Edition (April 25, 2007) Buy it on Amazon and Good Reads . Blurb...

Sunday, 15 May 2016

I WISH YOU A MERRY CHRISTMAS (X3) AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR


    December 2015 marks my fifth winter in Winnipeg. The first one was in 2011. The cold weather and quantity of snow troubled me! Winnipeg was a no man’s land in winter! The immigrant shelter “L’Accueil Francophone” introduced me to the African French Community. We celebrated Christmas together. Unfortunately we were not in the same boat. They found me too “European”. Painful reality check!  

    Second Christmas was sorrowing but the next one was funnier. I attended several suppers with French Manitobans. I ate poutine and met wonderful people. Then, things got much better since I have been working for the Province. Some colleagues invited me over for Christmas 2014 and shared amazing potlucks. All meals were excellent, I breathed happiness! 

    This time of the year could be very stressful when we spend our last penny for our love ones. Why do we offer gifts during Christmas? Is this idea from Santa Clause or St. Nicholas? Nope, that comes from the Bible. Christmas or ‘Mass of Christ’ reminds us that God informed magi about baby Jesus. Gospel of Matthew chapter 2 verse 10-11: “When they saw the star, they were overjoyed. On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.” ¯Joy to the world, the Lord is come...the Savior reigns! ¯  

    God incarnated man, visited us, suffered death on the cross for our sins as a sacrificial Lamb and resurrected the third day. John chapter 3 verse 16, “For God so loved the world that he gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life”. In Greek “Jesus” means ‘God saves”. As a born-again Christian, I believe that I am saved because of Jesus’ sacrifice. Through His Holy Spirit, by grace, I have a deep relationship with my Heavenly Father. Long story short, Christmas is all about the extravagant love of God for mankind. 

By Benebr

With the authorization of Global Eyes Magazine (Manitoba African and Carribean Quaterly Magazine) - December 2015, page 3. 

No comments:

Post a Comment